View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #6062 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwick View Post
I just don’t understand that way of thinking (not arguing the validity of your statement, just people that live their lives that way). I’m an engineer with seals in multiple states. Making critical decisions is part of my everyday life.
I think a lot really crept in when companies started making "Risk" a big portion of their mindset. As an engineer, I'm sure you're familiar with PFMEAs. If a big risk to your profitability is lawsuits stemming from (stupid) employees subjected to cold weather (which they can't be counted on to be bright enough do dress for), you eliminate or control work in the cold.

On the one hand, it works to reduce your exposure (double joke, very high degree of difficulty) and on the other hand it accustoms your personnel to only working in controlled conditions. When conditions are uncontrolled, they feel entitled and react poorly, and the attitude and mindset spreads. Now multiply that across every industry and every condition, and you've got a large number of people who feel outraged when conditions are anything less than ideal.

Are they snowflakes for it? Sure. But if that's the case, that term is a potentially transitory state of being. Put the same people with a hardened group of people like Baron and Rusty, working in terrible winter conditions outdoor to survive, and you'll find that a fair number step up (eventually), especially if dying is the alternative.

Our so-called greatest generation existed both because conditions and mindset were right, not just because of some genetic predisposition to greatness. Raise genetic clones of those people today, and they'd probably turn out a lot like today's people. Only potential exception is where BPA has reduced testosterone in more recent generations I'm sure that does play a part in mindset.