View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
cavemancan
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z TourSport MT
cavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond repute

You all might like this. I emailed Tim from workshop 12/Brainiac and this is the email...

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Yes, setting up a tablet compared to a stereo head unit has both its pros and cons and it all depends on what you're looking for. Going with your own standalone amp does make things much less complicated. I'll do my best to answer your questions

1) what is the frequency response of the galaxy tab a’s phone jack? I ask because I am trying to assess the audio quality/range.
Unfortunately I don't have that spec for the tablet. The best I've found is overall specs for the device, but couldn't find anything on frequency range from the headphone jack.

2) any iPhone/CarPlay integration?
There isn't any out of the box iPhone/CarPlay integration. I have seen these USB dongles for Android but I'm not sure how well they work.

3) support for Dvr and backup cameras?
Not sure on the DVR you are using and how it connects (WiFi, USB etc.). We have been working on some back-up camera solutions but don't have a software option quite yet. I'll be integrating a backup camera in the Nemesis that will use Brainiac software on the steering wheel. So we'll eventually have it. It will follow a similar procedure as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63lTJRQIicY

4) steering wheel controls integration?
Usually people use a JoyCon EXR for steering wheel integration with Android.

5) I am comparing this to the android seicane head-units. Obviously the brainiac setup is nicer looking but I’m trying to compare functionality and deciding what I want to give up etc. Besides ascetics is there another advantage the brainiac setup has over a seicane head-unit?
For sure, always an option. Typically what I find as the difference between Android head units and tablets is the following. Android head units have all of the items you listed above built-in, but their touch screen and richness "feel" isn't as nice as a tablet. A tablet has a great rich feel to the user interface, but you then need to piece together the functionality that aren't built into a tablet. That's why it really boils down to where your preferences are.

Our Brainiac software and accessories (relay controller, upcoming air suspension controller) all work on an Android head unit as well. So we'll be continuing to add car enthusiast features into our launcher and accessories no matter which route you choose.

Hopefully that helps a bit

Cheers,

Tim