View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #55 (permalink)
axmea?
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: WELL ZED PW 6MT
axmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not get side tracked here. Were talking about AB 1824 where starting in Jan 2019 a fix it no longer applies for those cited with loud exhaust. CA VC 27151 states modded exhaust are ok provided it does not go past 95 dBs. 90 dBs on the track is something I wouldn't touch on and totally different. I'm also not going to get into discussing my choice of mods as an ethusiast and perhaps how my so called loud exhaust ruins it for everyone else. Since when did anyone consider FI exhaust to be noisy anyway?

Rusty, you're right, I'll test outside and get another reading. Not sure what the physical conditions and parameters are when state referees perform testing though. There may not be much of a difference considering how close the mic is to the tail pipe. We'll see..

My contention is any officer who cites an enthusiast for a loud exhaust is saying he or she is in violation and must therefore fix it and pay the fines associated with it. My challenge is, how did the officer determine that the vehicle's exhaust exceeds 95dBs. It is only when a true measurement is made using a calibrated meter that one can determine if one is in violation or not. In other words the enthusiast's are assumed to be in violation by the officer. Case in point, an officer cannot say you are legally drunk without performing certain tests. If you fail the tests, that's when they get you. In terms of dB ratings, it is a wild guess, an estimation made by an officer that the vehicle's exhaust exceeds 95dbs (measured 19.5 inches from the tail pipe, 45 degrees, and level to the tailpipe). There is nothing in the VC that says an estimation made by the officer will suffice. The testing procedure and the device is simply too precise for an officer to accurately state during a stop to make that determination.

Thoughts?

>MyZ's Album< NISMO Convert/ECUTEK/Takeda CAI/F.I. HFC NR CB Carbon/F.I. 34 Row Oil Cooler/4.08 Final Drive /Powertrix+Swifts/Hotchkis/SPL/Whiteline/TWM/Zoom Engineering/EVO-R/AeroJacket Vented CF Fenders + CF Spoiler/Avant Garde-WORK/NST/Morimoto Halo/STi Clear Lenses/Carbon Signal Automotive/RJM Performance/ZSpeed Clutch Flywheel CSC delete
axmea? is offline   Reply With Quote