View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
elhombre
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370z
elhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond reputeelhombre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocT View Post
Hi guys,

Yes, I'm new here. I've searched and read varying posts on this topic, but I wanna tinker around with the air intake on my new (to me) 2014 roadster. I can only do basic mechanic work, and just wanted to start with something I can do myself before I decide if I want to do any more extensive mods. I know the HP gains would be minimal at best, and maybe it will look or sound a bit cooler.

So here's the question: Z1 post-MAF tubes plus K&N drop ins ($216) or K&N Typhoon Intake Kit ($394)? The difference in money is not a big deal for me. Just wondered if anyone wanted to chime in with an opinion, or tell me how one of these mods worked for you?

Thanks.
I would stay away from the k and n system, I got one for 100 dollars and from what I found is that it is restrictive over the stock system once heat soaked/engine gets hot as it pulls the air from the engine bay. At cruise after fully soaking the engine with heat intake temps were around 20 degrees F higher than ambient AT BEST, and once you come to a stop and air flow decreases/stops then the intake temps soar upwards generally reach 140+ at a normal stop light. Then you start pulling timing and fuel trims start adjusting (making a drag race from that same light a little different than if you had a true CAI).

I would recommend stillen gen 3, the afe system, AEM's new enclosed short ram system (if you want to have easy filter access), Z1's system (this system is nice because of the silicon hoses that pass through the factory ducts, allowing you to not have to modify them like the gen 3's), or if you want to go big get the admin tuning 3'' intake system (this will produce the highest gains).

Hope this helps you in your selection!
elhombre is offline   Reply With Quote