View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
newbie415
Base Member

Drives: 06 G35 6MT
newbie415 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMrally View Post
Just to make sure, the Track Day SPEC pads are the "PSA" part numbers. PST-1346 Front and PSA-1347 Rear

Pricing is just about identical tho.
Yup! placed my order for the PSA 1346/1347 combo. Pretty excited to see how these perform on track!

Side note
****LONG POST WARNING****

I got a reply back from Powerstop in regards to my request for a "mu vs temperature" graph on the PSA pad compound.

"This is the response from our Product Manager

The chart that the customer referenced was something that was fabricated by Hawk’s marketing department. Real friction readings do not follow nice pretty curves like that and there are many more factors than temperature and friction coefficient. In addition to temperature, factors like vehicle weight, vehicle speed, pedal pressure, stop duration, brake system design, etc. all play into how a pad is going to perform.

Brake system design consists of the following:

Master cylinder diameter
Brake pedal lever
Booster type
ABS System
VSC System
Brake Bias
Caliper Piston diameter
Caliper design
Pad shape
Brake hoses
Brake fluid type

Power Stop does not create graphs like this because there is no such graph in real life."

Now, I'm not claiming to be a materials engineer. However, I don't see how such a chart can't exist. Under lab conditions, it should be possible to calculate mu with all other variables known and controlled. Their response does seem to be have misinterpreted my intentions though. The product manager seems to think I am looking for a chart that graphs FRICTION (which would have to factor in many variables that differ based on the vehicle), but I am merely looking for a MU graph which should translate to the real world as "pad bite" and when the mu drops off aka when "brake fade" comes in.

Do we have any materials people in here that can enlighten me? I'm sure real world materials testing is way more complex than just F =μN. Would love to learn something new.

The chart I attached below is the Hawk graph in question.

newbie415 is offline   Reply With Quote