View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
newbie415
Base Member

Drives: 06 G35 6MT
newbie415 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMrally View Post
Trust me, I had my doubts as well.

I should probably clarify a bit, on the track my white wheels turn to grey in something less than 2 laps. On the street, the pads only dust slightly more than my Stoptech Sport Compound pads I run normally, but not to the point I'd call it excessive. I am probably more acceptable to dust than others as I know it's a by-product of a good pad.

FWIW, I'm pretty newish to the 370z and this forums, but have competitively campaigned Subarus in rally for several years. On that car I've tried many many pads (Hawk DTC 60, Carbotech 10/12, Cobalt ZR2, Carbone Lorrane CL-6/8, and some Performance Friction). I have no problems ranking the Powerstop Track Day Specs solidly among those other products which cost significantly more. As a matter of fact, if Powerstop had the fitment for my rally car available, there would be a set of the track day spec pads in there to try further. Yes, my favorite pads still carry a hefty price tag (CL Brakes) but sometimes throwing ~$500 for a full set isn't in the cards for a consumable item on a street driven car which sees lapping or time attack.

Just like wine, spending big dollars does not always guarantee something exceptional. I'm sure we've all enjoyed excellent bottles for $8. Sometimes big dollar price tags are very much a part of marketing strategies. The same way that providing good parts at fair prices can be a strategy. We usually find the good, bad, and hidden gems by way of reviews and recommendations from family, friends, competitors, or sometimes forums

I have done a bit of research on these"track day SPEC" pads with the PSA part numbers these past couple days. They seem to be very well liked by the Vette community who tracks their cars and also has a few threads with great feedback from s2ki and f80 m3 forums. Will from THmotorsport even made a post stating that the fade resistance and pedal feel is very similar to an xp10 in his own experience. Seems to be a pretty solid product from what I can tell. I've actually reached out to powerstop and asked for a mu vs temperature chart to see the characteristics of this compound. The rep told me my email has been forwarded to the product manager so I'm still waiting for that to come in. $165 for four corners is a crazy price. I'm 80% sure I'll end up buying these, I'll be sure to report back after tracking them.
newbie415 is offline   Reply With Quote