View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #77 (permalink)
Spartan 1771
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Wife crazy & 09 370Z
Spartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan 1771 has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would give it a shot.
I'm the original owner of my 2009 Z, which has a manual transmission. The car only has 24,000 miles on it. It doesn't have the sports package, so no synchro-rev trans and I’ve been using Red Line fluid for the past 14,000 miles. I believe the 6th gear synchro is shot. When powering through the gears under WOT it will grind going from 5th to 6th. If I power from 1st through 5th but then press the clutch, wait a second and then put it in to 6th, it won't grind. So like I said, sounds like the synchro to me. Correct me if I’m wrong. It’s been doing this for about 18 months, but the car is my weekend / summer car, so I haven’t been too concerned with it. In the mean time I have been squirreling away transmission parts for the inevitable repair. I’ve accumulated just about everything I want:

Z1 Parts:
Clutch, unsprung hub, lightweight flywheel, CSC elimination kit, steel braided clutch line and transmission mount.

I also have a set of Mtec shifter springs and an RJM clutch pedal. The only thing left to get is the RJM clutch master cylinder and the synchros. The car already has a B&M short throw shifter installed.

I spoke with someone at MA Motorsports earlier today about this repair and the installation of the mods. According to them: “Most of the time we suggest just replacing the entire transmission to be honest. The work to repair the gearbox is very time consuming and you still have a mostly used gearbox at the end of the day. For only a little bit more we can sell you a whole new transmission from Nissan (in most cases).”

Although MA Motorsports came highly recommended, has great ratings and appears to be trustworthy, I still have to question this, especially since the car has so few miles on it. I’m not one to cheap out on my car, so if this is necessary, I will go through with it, but I don’t want to waste money. Unfortunately for me, the car is WAY out of the warranty period, so the bill is on me.

Although I have done all of the work on my Z thus far, transmission work is WAY out of my comfort zone, so that’s not an option for me.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

-DD Air Guide, Stillen G3 CAIs, 63mm Throttle Bodies, Motordyne M370, Berk HFCs, FI TDX CBE (non-res, CF), Sprint booster v3, Ecutek Dyno Tuned, and the list goes on...

Last edited by Spartan 1771; 01-04-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Spartan 1771 is offline   Reply With Quote