View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

crazyforoldcars shares the same opinion I do.

I have 3 vehicles, all with nav systems that could use an update (2011 Lexus ES350, 2017 Subaru OutBack, 2016 370Z), but I'll be da**ed if I'll pay what those manufacturers want for the update.

I have a Garmin for RVing that I use in my 2005 Sierra Dually for hauling our 5th wheel. It comes with FREE updates every year for as long as the Garmin has memory space to store them.

The nav systems in the other cars get used locally when needed but very little. As with the 370z, the nav package is only there because I couldn't stand the look of the dash with the huge ugly center storage bin that is there if you don't go the nav route.

In all cases, when I leave home for a trip out of my local area, the Garmin gets put on the dash, regardless of which car I'm driving, and the built in nav units don't get turned on. While the car is moving, my wife can even setup the Garmin from the passenger seat, fine tune its settings, and it gets dragged to Europe for car rental use there, just by purchasing a micro SD card update for the countries we'll be travelling in. No learning curve necessary, and we can even use it when walking through cities on tours.

NightHawkII,

Check the update code for the update you need, for you may find that Infinty and other car manufacturers use the same nav system. When you know the update number, you may well find what you need on eBay, but be careful to verify it will work for you, and that the seller has a good return policy if you have difficulties.
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote