View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 06:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Girald
Base Member

Drives: 15' 370z SpTech 6MT
Girald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond reputeGirald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarkbow View Post
So I'm currently driving my Z across the country (west) and as soon as I got into Colorado, and the altitude got above about 4,000 feet I noticed my clutch started feeling softer.

As I climbed higher it got really bad, the engagement point was super low and the clutch started sticking to the floor.

When I pump the clutch, I can feel the pressure building to "push it back out" and then the clutch engages normally again for a short time.

I topped off the clutch fluid reservoir with DOT 4 brake fluid, which helped a little, doesn't seem to be leaking.

I got it up to about 10,000 feet, and it was pretty bad, now back down to 6,000 the problem is actually almost entirely gone.

My question: I am 2,000 miles away from home, and my plan was to continue further. I am getting the clutch fluid bled and replaced completely tomorrow at Pep Boys.

My Question:

Does it seem like flushing and replacing the fluid might fix it for the duration of the trip or do I need a new CSC before returning home?

2012 370Z Touring now at 101k miles, haven't replaced since I've owned it at 63k miles.
I live in Denver...

I can tell you that there are a lot of things at work here... The clutch fluid is (thanks nissan) way too close to the exhaust system. And since the car is doing more work at higher altitude, more heat in the engine bay, and out the exhausts, cooking the fluid. If there is water in the brake fluid (wet) then there is more chance of getting air in the system from the water that evaped.

Since brake fluid is essentially what is used for the clutch, then this can also affect the brake system..

A good way to check it is with a brake fluid tester ( 15 bucks on amazon) a lot of testers come with instructions.

Also, you will notice that your clutch fluid looks like maple syrup... Im guessing that is a deterioration of the slave or some other contamination...

All that said.,.. I would try flushing the clutch system before anything else.
It is very easy to do if you have front wheel ramps, some metric wrenches, a bottle brake bleeder kit 25 bucks on amazon (Longacre 45202 Single Bottle Brake Bleeder Kit) and a few beers.

Good tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvOa0gPJN6Q

Video showing the slave location
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0cOSKtNrqY

When i did mine, it looked like sewage coming out..

NOTE: This wont solve the eventual failure of the slave, but it can mitigate the problem..