View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
JrumMusic
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Pearl White 370z
JrumMusic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhrps View Post
JrumMusic,

Chances are its a humidity related issue with your system somewhere. Corrosion of some connector causes it to disconnect under high humidity?

The auto restoration shop I work for part time replaces blown air bags with used ones occasionally. When doing so we also replace the airbag sensor for that particular air bag as well. We also send the cars to the appropriate dealership/shop to have the airbag system reset if our equipment can't do so or verify that everything is correct.

Note that these are cases, for instance, where the air bag deployed, but there was very little body damage, and no structural damage to the vehicle. The last one was the side curtain air bag on a 2006 BMW X5 that blew when the used car dealer dropped a rear wheel into a large pothole on his own dealership lot.

Its a viable solution if you are assured that the used airbag and sensors are in excellent working order. If you can't be assured that the parts are good ... don't go this route. You're life or the next owner's life may be at risk.
Greatly appreciate your input, that does make sense, maybe the water damage has slowly made it to where the humidity is effecting it. I am in Florida by the way lol... So this damn humidity is no joke. But when the dealership checked it out, they said it all checked out, no sensors were destroyed or damaged... just a old past code (trips the air bag light).

I am just stuck as far as what to do... Do I sell my car because I can't afford to fix it... or take my chances driving with no air bags... I need a car PERIOD. And who in their right mind would buy a car with no air bags working (even the dealership might not want the trouble)...

Do I just keep resetting it until it rains again, like I have been doing? Which makes me think, what if when I reset, its still not fixed... !?!?!?!?

It sucks because my car is an 09' with only 53k miles.. It runs great and is my babyyyyy lol. I would just hate to get rid of it because of a air bag issue.

Would you recommend doing any DIY fixes? Like a new sensor, fuses, wiring harness?

Once again, thanks for your insight and help.