Thread: Misfires
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
JSur
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370z TT
JSur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts3 View Post
What is making you call it a low voltage condition? If your alternator is on it's way out, I'm curious if maybe it actually caused a voltage spike that blew your starter motor. If this is what happened, anything that's got a 12v line is in theory fair game. In the lab, we've ESD'd circuit boards that have failed in such a way that makes it hard to figure out what has happened. They would half-way work, but do all kinds of crazy ****. We had one case where a voltage spike killed a capacitor on a circuit board, but it failed closed (causing a short). This in turn caused it to destroy any other electronic hardware that it was plugged in to... almost like a hardware (as opposed to software) computer virus. I mention all of this to point out that transient voltage spikes can ruin things in very unexpected ways. Hopefully it can be diagnosed without spending money replacing many things.

I don’t think it’s all tied to low voltage but the symptoms significantly decreased when I threw in a new battery. I believe the low voltage is just a product of the starter and/or alternator slowly going bad over time. The cars creeping up on 90k, has been boosted for over 30k, as well as a bunch of accessories that require lots of power. I’ve been told that a bad starter solenoid can cause a power draw. I’m hoping that by replacing those two parts it’ll, ideally, solve the power draw mystery, or at least bring me back up to par so I can properly track down the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JSur is offline   Reply With Quote