View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Joe Perry
Base Member

Drives: 6M Plat Graphite Z34
Joe Perry is on a distinguished road
Default 2009 Car died on me when I came to a stop.

Car is a 2009 manual transmission, I came to a complete stop and then it just died on me. While waiting for the tow truck I tried to start it a few times, first time you could just hear the starter clicking and clicking so I stopped it.

Second time same thing but it sounded like it got closer to starting but still struggling so I stopped it.

And the last time it started, barely but the idle was erratic, wouldn’t sit steady and was dipping low and almost stalling the engine I tried to give it some gas and there was ZERO throttle response, would not rev at all.

After doing some googling there are a few things I’ve heard being the problem that other people have had similar experiences with.

The number one thing I’m thinking it might be is the fuel pump, reason being is once I did get the car to start there was no throttle response so maybe the engine is starving for fuel? And another thing I’ve heard on the forums for the Zs is, the people that track their Zs say an upgraded fuel pump is often times a necessity if you track because if the car is less than 3/4 tank the Zs suffer from fuel starve on the track when the fuel is sloshing around.

Now earlier last week when I was driving, there is a corner on one street I like to take kind of fast, as I exited the the corner in second gear right when my revs hit about 3-4K RPM there was a sudden stop of power, almost like I hit the rev limiter. Now at the next stop sign, i just went ahead and revved up to 5k no problem. I knew what had happened was not normal and has never happened to me before.

The next day I tried the same thing at the same corner and sure enough right at the same 3-4K RPM I had that loss of power again. But seemingly everywhere else I drove the car did not have trouble revving high.

And in both of these instances the car had about a half tank of gas.

So TLDR I’m thinking maybe I burned up my fuel pump?

I’m open to all suggestions and would love some feedback.
Joe Perry is offline   Reply With Quote