View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

Hi-Step'n370Z,

Thank you for the compliment ... but I'm not an expert. But I am a backyard mechanic who has been in the backyard for quite a while, some 55 years or so, and I've learned a few things.

I threw the every two weeks timeline for exercising the top out there as a suggestion. You prefer once a month, which is pretty much in the same ballpark, and I would think that either schedule makes perfect sense. I do believe that we are on the right track for ensuring the longevity of our convertible tops' proper function by doing so.

I might also suggest that once a year or so that the hinge points of the top mechanism be lubricated. Small amounts of WD40 or white grease (dielectric silicone grease, comes in a squeeze tube and used on car battery terminals to prevent corrosion) should be applied to all the pivot joints with a small water colour brush (gets into the small areas without over greasing/lubing that could cause stains on the inner and outer top materials).

Stop the opening/closing of the top where the roof is partially folded and the tonneau cover is fully opened. This allows one to get to each of the pivot joints for lubing. Also rub that same silicone grease into all of the top weatherstripping, that on the doors, the trunk, the top storage lid rubber bumper rests, and the hood weatherstripping and rubber bumper stays.

Doing so keeps those parts supple, stops squeaks, and keeps them from freezing to the glass and metal body of those who drive their cars in the winter.

Gene
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote