View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeatherman View Post
I really believe it had nothing to do with the SRM. When the car was stopped, idling, it still idled at around 3,500 RPM. SRM only is effective when the car is in motion. It uses speed and gear position to find it's rev point. If I'm stopped and outside of the car, it shouldn't be revving at 3,500 RPM.

As far as the temperature, when it's this cold, the oil temperatures reflect that. It was in it's normal operating temperature for this ambient temperature. If you drive your car when it's 0-10 degrees down the highway, you'll notice your oil temp will be between 170°-190°F. That's where mine was. Car was out and about for at least 25 minutes when the video was taken. I don't have an oil cooler.

I don't always drop to neutral. When I was coming off of the highway to a stoplight, the car was actually speeding up. I was hitting the brakes in 6th trying to come down from 60MPH when I noticed something was wrong. Hence, nothing to do with SRM. Try it in your car. Go cruising around the city, pop it in neutral, put the stick right in the middle of the gate, don't touch the shifter, and the revs should drop down pretty far... Not 3,500 RPM.

Something was stuck on my machine or not working properly. It scared me at first coming off the highway. It has never done that before. 12,000 miles... I know when something's broken. SRM... No.
Why don't you just try turning it off to be sure? I mean, would it really hurt anything just to give it a shot in the spirit of process of elimination? Also, if your car was speeding up when you were coming off the highway, that would actually cause SRM to hold the revs higher, as the faster you're going when you drop to a lower gear, the higher the revs need to be for a smooth match.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote