View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
danrcb
Base Member

Drives: 16 Nissan 370Z BC M6
danrcb is on a distinguished road
Question 2016 370Z Base Coupe Rear Brake Callipers

Hi, this is my first time ever posting to a forum, so hopefully I'm in the right place and didn't miss any rules.

My local Nissan Service Center has a notoriously bad rep (tons of terrible reviews, often about suggesting unnecessary repairs). However, I'm currently leasing and they are the most convenient place in town to take my 370. My first couple experiences went well (clutch cylinder failed around 20k and they replaced it under warranty and payed for a tow no issue). However, last 2 years they have been acting more sketchy. Took it in for two standard maintenance packages and an oil change and all three times they said I need to have the brake rotors machined due to rust/grooves. The most recent time (this week) they said the rear brake pads were completely gone (I'm only at 42K, don't brake heavy and they looked like they still had pad to me, no issues braking). They also said again that the rotors needed to be machined when the brake pads where replaced, I asked about it and they said it was to smooth them out so the new pads make proper contact (seemed unnecessary, but I don't really know enough to argue). Needless to say, I'm suspicious that they are just trying to pad the bill again.

Anyways, I get the car back yesterday and I'm looking at the rear rotors and brakes and not only does it look like they weren't machined (still plenty of grooves and rust), but I could swear the rear callipers look smaller then I remember. The pads only cover 2/3 of the braking surface, which just seems wrong to me. Tried to see if I had an old side photo of the car or could find one of my model online to compare, but no such luck. Here's a current pic:

Can anyone tell me if that looks like the stock caliper for the 2016 base coupe? Is there a reason it only covers part and not all of the braking surface on the rotor?

Any help would be appreciated. Feel like I'm going crazy lol.

Last edited by danrcb; 10-18-2018 at 12:38 PM.
danrcb is offline   Reply With Quote