View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 04:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Geoff-AU
Base Member

Drives: 2018 370Z KAD 6MT
Geoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond reputeGeoff-AU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZ View Post
Just flushed and replaced with Motul 5.1 in another Nissan vehicle of mine. Working nicely.

I have read that 5.1 is less viscous than 3 or 4. The idea is that 5.1 works better in the ABS components, but may not have the same pedal feel as 3 or 4. On the mushy side.

Just what I have read. Not proven. I might buy into that theory.
Fluids are incompressible. In terms of static system (holding the pedal down constantly) you will feel the same force at the same pedal displacement.

The only difference is in dynamic feeling. A really viscous fluid doesn't want to move. This suggests it will give you a rock hard pedal feel right away and then the pedal will gradually sink until it stabilises, during which time you get less braking effort than you feel on the pedal. You probably won't notice the pedal travel, because what you feel is the pressure on your foot.

A less viscous fluid will give you more pedal travel with low resistance but then it will firm up really quickly. That initial pedal travel probably explains the "my brakes aren't there" feeling people don't like. You always have to move the pads a little bit in order to make them bite on the rotors so there must be some pedal travel.
Geoff-AU is offline   Reply With Quote