View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
dts3
Track Member

Drives: 08 Expedition
dts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leak after oil cooler install

About 1,500 miles ago I installed a z1 25 row oil cooler with the setrab core and thermostatic plate. I've been very happy with it so far. Yesterday I was going to let my wife drive so we pulled off in an empty lot. After turning the car off and right back on we smelled burning oil for just a second... The smell was gone very quickly. I looked under the car and I can see some drips hanging off the plate with the jacking point dimple, and I can see that the boot on the front passenger axle is damp. I'm visiting my mom and don't have my tools to properly get under the car, but I used the OEM jack and took off the passenger side wheel. I can see that there is a decent amount of oil in the under tray. Not a lake, but enough. I took the four bolts off to open the flap on the under tray to get access to the filter and sandwich plate. I was worried that it was a hose fitting about to give out, but I'm 95% sure it's coming from between the sandwich plate and the factory cooler. Probably the seal. My main question is whether or not I can drive it the 200 miles to get back to my house tonight. I'm not sure if this was a slow leak and enough oil collected iin the under tray to splash onto an exhaust piece, or if this is brand new and pissing all over the place. The oil level is exactly half between now and high.
dts3 is offline   Reply With Quote