View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
MrPostman
Base Member

Drives: 2010 Nissan 370Z M6
MrPostman is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone still running Z1 FUCAs?

I have a set of these on my car and I have seen the broken ball joint examples from the bad batch they had. I was sent the replacements and I installed them. So far I have done 2 track days and a bunch of Sunday morning backroad blasting with my Porsche buddies since then without issue. Now I do know a fair bit about metal as I have a hobby machine shop, I have done quite a bit of work on guns over the last 5 years, milling slides , fitting barrels,etc.... The old ones either were not designed right or the heat treating was done incorrectly which made them brittle and snap.

The pics I saw listed here showed them breaking where the threads ended in the drilled hole for the bolt, I would assume the new ones, if they are in fact redesigned, either use a shorter bolt so that stressed area has more material to prevent the same issue, or they just got the heat treating right. To be honest I am tempted to buy some new ones and cut them apart just to see what has changed.

Anyway so is anyone else still using these and if so what has been your experience. Just wanted to get honest opinions from folks who have them before I jump on the SPL bandwagon.