View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #138 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

9/22/2018 In Which Josh and Rusty Destroy A Bushing

7 am came a little too quickly, but after reinforcing myself with coffee and a delicious omelette courtesy of Chef Rusty's Grill and pleasant conversation with both Rusty and his wife Chris, I was ready for another round!

-Finished prepping the differential by cutting off a couple of the fins which will interfere with the Fast Intentions exhaust. Again, the sort of thing I wouldn't have expected, and glad Russ did! I'm sure it's much easier to do when the differential isn't already installed.
-Went after the bushing. I'll spend a little more time on this particular topic. First, do not waste your time with the Z1 Bushing Removal kit. I guess it might work as an act of desperation, or on a lift with a lot of room for a breaker bar + extension, but the kit works by applying tremendous force to try and push out the bushing. We did give it a try, but quickly went with Rusty's actual plan - an 18v drill and a hole saw.

At the first application of the hole saw, the bushing employed its squid-like self defense mechanism and sprayed Rusty down with black goo. Undeterred, Rusty cut the core out of the bushing, set its guts on a shelf as a warning for future bushings. I'd guess it was probably about 20 minutes to cut out the bushing core using this method. Do not expect the hole saw to be good for much after this.

The OEM bushing is surrounded by a metal collar, which Rusty removed using an impact gun and an exhaust tool. Maybe 1 minute to remove by this method. We took a few minutes to celebrate this victory with pictures. Because the OEM bushing hole is not truly round, Rusty used a grinding tool to remove some of the burrs and remnant material from inside.

-Installation of the new bushing came next. Again, Z1's instructions are not awesome. They recommend installing the bushing with a rubber mallet. This is a bad idea, for several reasons. First, you have very little room to swing the mallet. Second, the bushing is fat and the hole is thin. Third, as previously discussed, the hole is not perfectly round, and the bushing will try very hard to go any direction other than straight. If you try this method, expect to spend a lot of time working at it for fairly minimal results. Practice your swear words.

The solution was that the z1 bushing has a sort of groove in the surface on the differential-facing side. Rusty matched a large diameter socket to that groove, and using that socket, 2 metal plates, a length of all-thread, and some nuts, he made a bomb! Oh wait, that's MacGyver. He made a bushing installation tool! The bushing was forced into place, and there was much rejoicing.

At this point, it was pretty much just reversing what we'd done so far, and by a little after 2 pm, we had everything reinstalled, new lube in the diff, and the car on the ground. Total work time was about 10 hours, and Rusty guessed we could've dropped a couple hours off if we had lift access instead of ramps + jack stands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10_ReadyForSurgery.jpg (361.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 11_FinsCutOff.jpg (313.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 12_SmallBushingsIn.jpg (302.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 13_RustyCuttingBushing.jpg (250.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 14_CuttingBushing.jpg (298.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 15_BushingCenterOut.jpg (234.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 16_OldBushingShell.jpg (182.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 17_PreppingForNewBushing.jpg (274.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by JLarson; 09-24-2018 at 08:50 AM.
JLarson is offline   Reply With Quote