View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #137 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

9/21/2018 - In Which Our Hero Arrives At Rusty's Garage

Left work early on Friday and drove from NE Philly out to the Pittsburgh area to meet up with Rusty, as planned. Drive is pretty easy, lots of long virtually empty highways, and even with a couple stops for coffee/food/fuel/toilet, I arrived at Rusty's Garage around 7:40.

Rusty and the missus were kind enough to have burgers and fresh corn waiting for me (excellent), and after a tour and jawing for a bit, we started working on the car.

I actually expected to only get the car in the air and drain the differential, but once we started knocking out tasks, we just kind of kept going.

Rough list of tasks:
-Drained the diff
-Removed rear portion of the exhaust
-Removed V-brace
-Removed rear swaybar
-Marked axles and driveshaft using metal stamp and paint marker
-Disconnected axles and driveshaft, using bungie cords to keep the axles suspended
-Disconnected the differential and lowered, using a jack (almost forgot about the breather hose, Rusty spotted it in time)
-Removed differential cover
-Removed OEM hardware from diff cover, and transferred key components to Z1 diff cover
-Checked internals of the differential. Rusty showed me how to check backlash. Mine was about .0027
-Prepped the mating surfaces of the differential cover and the differential, put the sealant on, and put the new cover in place.

We wrapped up a little after midnight. Everything went pretty smoothly, no hiccups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_GettingSetUp.jpg (300.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2_DiffPlugDebris.jpg (182.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3_HangingAxles.jpg (193.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 4_OldDiff.jpg (334.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 5_PreppingCover.jpg (208.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 6_SmallBushingsOut.jpg (323.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 7_InsideDiff.jpg (287.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 9_NewDiffCoverOn.jpg (292.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by JLarson; 09-24-2018 at 08:48 AM.
JLarson is offline   Reply With Quote