View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nick370
Base Member

Drives: 2010 Nissan 370z
Nick370 is on a distinguished road
Default Soapy/Wet Sanding Headlights

Okay, so I've wet sanded my headlights a few times but never with soapy water and the results have always come out great. However the reason Im writing this is a friend of mine just got a GTR and the previous owner tinted the headlights with what told us was a "tinted clear coat".

First off, never knew something like that existed. Secondly, it definitely wasn't done with that cheap "nightshades spray tint" or "plasti-dip".

Long story short, I had him bring it over and I've seen regular clear coat be removed from wet sanding so we decided to tie it a shot, and he insisted that we use soapy water, which Ive never done before. The process we used was 600, 1500, 3000 grit wet sand. It didnt remove the clear or tint, AT ALL, only thing I can think of is the soap created too smooth of a surface or almost barrier between the sand paper and the headlight. The headlights still clouded up but just not to the extent I expected...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but is it possible that I used too much (only a couple tbsp) soap in the water?
Nick370 is offline   Reply With Quote