View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #602 (permalink)
jwick
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 G37 6MT
jwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
My wheels are tucked in after installing the springs. Not horribly bad, but enough to irritate me. I could just easily get some spacers, but as much as I drive, Im a little concerned about safety. Ive put 20k+ miles in a little over 4 months - I drive to Az frequently and my job has me driving alot to different locations. On my trips to Az, its not uncommon for me to cruise at 80-85 mph.

Plus I dont want to remove the wheels to check torque on the spacers as often as I will need to!

When you add a slip plane to a bolted connection you are doubling the shear force it sees. Now there’s a huge safety of factor on bolts but S.Fs are for unknowns (i.e. flaws in machining or material strength etc.), not to be used knowingly. If you pull up to a Discount Tire with spacers on they will turn you away. All the tracks I know of have the same rules. People use spacers everyday, I’m just not one of them.