View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #1850 (permalink)
zaileion
Base Member

Drives: 2013 nissan 370z
zaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond reputezaileion has a reputation beyond repute

I own a manual Z that had a bad bushing. The dealership gave me an automatic Maxima loaner which I've had for several days. The automatic is easier but less control. For example, if I want to drop 2 gears and pop the clutch to chirp 3rd to piss off the camaro next to me or instigate a race I wouldnt' be able to do that on paddle shifters or manually shifting the automatic (like I have to do in this Maxima). Next its sequential shifting. if I want to go from 7th to 5th I have to go through 6th 1st.

The manual while requires lots of clutch riding in stop and go traffic I am in control of the trans not a computer. I can go from 4th to 6th if I choose without having to switch through 5th 1st. Or I can downshift and control the release of the clutch for clutch breaking. The automatic does not have this ability. You can down shift but there is no clutch. I'll elaborate a bit more. Sometimes I come off the highway at 80 or so. I'll shift from 6th to 3rd and slowly let the clutch out with a little break mixed in to slowly ease up to the bottom of the exit ramp. I may repress and then release the clutch while in 3rd a few times also. This helps keep by breaks cool, reduces wear and tare on the breaking system etc... Cannot be done in an automatic. Next, if you are really hitting the throttle in traffic (breaking all kinds of traffic violations) racing some one in a Subaru or something else and you need to stop fast, like real fast because of traffic you are approaching at 130+ mph, the downshifting is a great addition to the breaks. DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME OBVIOUSLY! and too far of a down shift step when at such a high rate of speed can cause your rear end to break free. BE CAREFUL!

If you want control and you want to downshift (i use breaks as a 2nd option) than automatic is not so great but if you are looking for a sports car that's easy to drive with the convenience of 2 peddles and one hand than automatic is right for you.

IMO... Ill never drive an automatic sports car. A work truck, or a family SUV sure... a sports car? uhhh. No!
zaileion is offline   Reply With Quote