View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 03:28 AM   #93 (permalink)
6mt370
Base Member

Drives: 370
6mt370 is on a distinguished road

If you fully take your foot off the gas while losing traction, trying to gain traction back, you'll disrupt the dynamics of the entire car. IE like someone mentioned earlier, you shift motion and weight towards the front of the car just like you were pressing the brakes. regulating the throttle and learning how the car reacts is something that needs to be learned. The best thing you can do for yourself and what I recommend people to do with newly boosted cars or higher hp ones is to find an abandoned place and purposely make the car lose traction so you can find out exactly how it reacts and teach yourself how to control it. That way if it ever happens on the street or the track you'll be better prepared at how to handle it.

Now to explain more in depth as to why I said drag radial vs street tires. I wasn't referring that you NEED drag radials, it was a comparison between two tires, one with a small contact patch but is stickier vs one that is super wide but with less "stickiness." These Z people see that they have a 19x10 factory wheel and figure "oh well I can comfortably fit a 305mm tire so lets do it." NOOOOOOOO. Wrong way to go about fixing any sort of traction issues that you may have. Unless you're going after looks, a 305 also has less of a sidewall than slightly smaller tires. I will never buy an expensive tire ever again. My slicks are about $200 a tire and that's as expensive as I will go. I will continue to rave and push Federal tires. I use a 275/35 RS-RR on the rear of my Supra and I can dead hook half way through second at 30+psi of boost with no traction aids on my Haltech. You can find those tires for around $120 through most vendors, if not cheaper. For the price you can't beat them. Sure there are better tires that may last longer or grip better, but for the price tag of almost 2 and a half times more?

You have to also realize that Z's are terrible at handling FI in terms of spinning. Their suspension geometry is so bad at performing straight line acceleration without spinning. You should look into getting a good LSD if you don't have one, maybe adjusting rear camber and toe, getting new suspension pieces that better suit your driving style, etc. Your tuner is also mine as well. Seb has tuned one of my boosted Z's and has another one of my cars there. He is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to whatever questions you may have so maybe you can ask him to dial back some power until you can learn how to better control your car.