View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
dts3
Track Member

Drives: 08 Expedition
dts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
It's been a few years since I took high school chemistry, but I don't believe this is true. Pretty sure water still freezes at 0C/32F despite what the fake news media outlets are saying.

Now if we're referring to a hard freeze where ice did buildup and a quick enough temperature change that the ice did not have sufficient time to melt, sure, I can see that happening. But the statement in the video is a little misleading IMNSHO.
Well... without drawing any conclusions about what is said in the video, there is a such a thing as "freezing by evaporation" (I don't know of any exact term). If you spray a can of "compressed air" upside down, the liquid section of the propellant is sprayed from the can (which was only liquid under the somewhat high pressure of the can) The act of evaporating so quickly will cool the surrounding area (why we sweat) so fast that water vapor in the atmosphere will turn directly to ice, skipping the liquid phase. I'm not saying that this is happening in the TB, but how low is the pressure in there if the air is moving very fast across the butterfly plate?

Note: Spraying compressed air upside down on your skin will cause you to have a very bad day. Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited by dts3; 08-31-2018 at 09:37 AM.
dts3 is offline   Reply With Quote