View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
dts3
Track Member

Drives: 08 Expedition
dts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond reputedts3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 to 332 View Post
Two reasons:
First, I was looking for some redundancy. By re-installing the factory sensor, I had some back-up in the event that the Defi sensor/gauge ever malfunctioned. It was for ease of mind.
Second, the Defi sensor is configured such that it can't be installed using a socket (standard and/or deep). It becomes obvious why once you have it in your hand. And, I found that there wasn't enough room to tighten it into the factory port using a standard open-ended wrench. You might be able to install it using a crow-foot wrench ... but I opted instead to simply purchase an oil filter sandwich plate and install the sensor in one of the ports in the plate. I had to purchase an adapter since the female port thread was 1/8 NPT and the male sensor thread was 1/8 BSP (i.e., the Defi sensor thread is metric).
That's cool; I like the redundancy. Ideally I'd like to run a separate sandwich plate for the sensors, but with the combination of the Z1 cooler sandwich plate and the oem oil/water "cooler", I don't think I'll have enough room left for the filter (and I don't want to relocate at this point)

It's interesting that your Defi gauge is 1/8 BSP; which do you have? I have the Defi BF Advance, and the manual is saying it's 1/8 NPT.
dts3 is offline   Reply With Quote