View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsteve View Post
would the fact that a HFC has less material in it, especially the 200 cell one, cause it to degrade faster? If OEM is around 80,000 miles and those are prolly 400 cell cats then 40,000 miles for 200 cell cats?

And even if thats right then 40,000 should be 2.5 yrs for me.
I doubt the relationship is that simple. I think HFC failure is more related to the associated mods, tuning, and driving style changes that are associated with the HFC addition.

For example, these people are more likely to have other bolt-ons, forced induction, performed some level of tuning and ECU modification, are more likely to run race gas, may drive in trackdays/races, etc etc etc. All of these can lead to situations where cats can 'see' extreme driving conditions, incomplete fuel burn and detonation, higher engine temps...

...all leading to failure.

On a side note, Berk posted in a different thread that they use Magnaflow cores and suggests that these are higher quality cores than those in other HFC options. Is it just me, or is Magnaflow more often associated with inexpensive products and lower quality? I don't think top-of-the-line when I hear about Magnaflow anything.

Last edited by spearfish25; 01-28-2010 at 10:27 AM.
spearfish25 is offline   Reply With Quote