View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
It may not have been tightened all the way down from the factory, that's why they add so much loctite. Why don't you loctite it in place like they did at the factory. Back it off 180 degrees to where it feels comfortable and let the loctite set up overnight.
I can guarantee this is the situation. The original knob is not fully screwed on at the factory, which is why Nissan uses a gallon of loctite on the shift knobs - to properly orient the knob and make sure it stays that way through the life of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
Can you put a nut on the shaft? If so, install nut until it bottoms out, install knob until it bottoms out on nut, back off knob until it is aligned the way you want it, tighten nut against bottom of knob.
My TWM Desert Eagle shift knob came with a nut on the inside threads of the shift knob and a flat-head tool to adjust the nut to ensure the orientation is correct as well as allowing some height adjustment as desired. However, I still find this method difficult to get the knob perfectly aligned and also tightened sufficiently. A small dot of loctite on the shifter assembly threads will make life much easier for those that are OCD about the orientation/alignment of the shift knob and don't want it coming loose down the road.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote