View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
kbc749
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z 6MT
kbc749 is on a distinguished road
Default AAM Mid-Pipe combinations, lets hear yours!

Hello all,

I had the AAM Short Tails for a long time, and then I saw some videos of the AAM Mid Pipe with it and thought "yes this is what I need!"

Bought it, waited for it to finally get here, installed it, and wow is it loud. The lower rumble at idle (as compared to base cat back with short tails) is amazing. The rev out is fantastic until you go WOT and this awful cacophony of echoy fart noises. I go back and listen to the videos of a nearly identical setup. That farting noise just feels unbearable to me, if I could cut that noise out, and keep the low rumble and frequent pops I would. But due to the loudness I had to put the stock muffler back on.

So my exhaust setup was:
Stock Headers
Berk HFC's (non-resonated)
AAM Mid-Pipe S-Line
AAM Short Tails S-Line

Which created loud echoy farting noises when going WOT. If I partially get on the gas it sounds exceptional, but if I apply too much gas I get the farts.

So now I have went back to:
So my exhaust setup was:
Stock Headers
Berk HFC's (non-resonated)
AAM Mid-Pipe S-Line
Stock Muffler

So I have seen various videos of people running similar setups. I wanna hear what your resolutions are in your experience. I think the stock muffler setup is just a little too quiet, but the short tails alone is not my favorite either. At this point I just want to get opinions before I spent more money to go in a different direction.

Did you end up with resonated short tails and that lessened the farting noises? Did you go to the newer AAM S-Line muffler? Did you have different HFC's (or test pipes, resonated or not). How did the test pipes affect the sound?

At this point I'm not really chasing horsepower I'm chasing a sound that I love. Any advice you can offer is appreciated.