View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #135 (permalink)
Hi-Step'n370Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '10ZR S/B AT Tour NV
Hi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeshear View Post
I just installed a 34 row FI unit (Setrab cooler and mocal thermostatic plate I believe). Haven't had a problem with it. Slightly annoying install, but not too terrible. It does it's job. In colder temperatures, I'll definitely have to add a block off plate for about half the cooler I'd guess. 70 F and less, the car has trouble staying above 180 F oil temp, unless you're driving hard (twisties, AutoX, track, etc.). On long highway trips at 70 F, dips to about 160-170 on the oil temp gauge. When driving hard, no issues. I did a track day at Laguna Seca (75 F ambient) essentially without issue. Peak oil temp of about 220, but that was only on the second to last session at the very end and I'd been running all day.

In AZ w/ ambient routinely in 100-120 F range, the cooler is 100% necessary. A fun drive spikes the oil temp up to 240 and beyond very quickly when it's 95+ outside, even w/ the oil cooler.

To compare, the car used to stay pretty much pegged at 180 on highway drives and would quickly get to 240+ on twisty backroads at about 75F ambient. I'd say about 15-20* cooler in all situations.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the very informative info Shoeshear. The Setrab cooler has a good reputation.
Hi-Step'n370Z is offline   Reply With Quote