View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chuck33079
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370ztt
Chuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
Gentlmen,

First off, before people go crazy with the “search the topic” response, i did a thorough search but couldnt find this topic in the same aspect of what i am about to ask.

I chose a ram air system on the fact that no studies were able to prove an actual cooler engine intake temp. On track running at 4500-7500 rpm for 20 minutes i am running an average of 85 degrees to 98 degrees. On street i see 68 - 72.

Has anyone actually seen there intake temp readings off an OBD reader or dyno while running actual cold air intakes? Im not looking for “my engine feels better” or purly non data proven answers. Just factual evidence that a cold air system actually is producing a serious diffrence in intake temp.

Im asking because the heat soak seems to be my biggist issue right now but i cant find any applications that can validate the upgrade will in fact produce lower intake tempretures.

Anyone with experience on the topic that can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I don't have any applicable data to show you since my intake system is completely different (tt), but the issue isn't IAT over ambient at speed. The short rams have their heat issues at lower speeds, or when the radiator fans kick on and blast hot air on the filters. So on track or when you're moving, you'll see those IATs closer to ambient. Once you stop, then the temps shoot up and it takes a little while for the temps to come back down when you start moving.

Edit - didn't notice you were using Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. Now that I've converted them, those temps seem pretty high. Even if it's 100F where you live, you're seeing 54-61 degrees over ambient on the street. That's dramatically higher than an intake system that moves the intakes out of the engine bay. (I've seen the results here, but I can't figure out what search keywords get me back to them.)

Have you tried putting the stock intakes back on and logging your temps? The factory setup pulls air from outside the engine compartment. I'll bet you a six-pack that you'll see lower IATs with the factory setup, and that's less efficient than a long tube intake.