View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

Hi-Step'n370z,

I agree whole heartedly with your synopsis of the top issue. In my case, I've owned one of each Z generation over the years, and when it came to my present toy I researched for months and months to see just exactly what I was getting myself into.

And I have not been disappointed. Nor will I be overly excited if something goes wrong with the top.

But I do understand the disappointment some here have experienced ... but this goes with the territory. No one can expect to just put gas into the tank and turn the key and everything will work correctly forever. Especially with a convertible top mechanism as intricate as the one on the Z.

Just plug a search statement like "convertible top problems" (don't identify any car make in the search) into YouTube, and it'll take you months to view all of the recorded entries.

Convertibles are more expensive to buy ... and to maintain. You should only own one if you deal or lease every 2 or 3 years and move on to another car before the warranty times out, have deeper pockets and repair costs just aren't something you need to be particularly concerned about, or you have one or more daily drivers and the convertible is just a toy in the stable.

I think we've all seen a 10 or 12 year old convertible some guy bought on a whim, that has duct tape or parts of garbage bags over sections of the ratty top, because they can't afford the repair costs. As for manual convertible tops, even the newest generation Miata has top issues, most common is rubbing wear issues of the top material.

Its just the nature of the beast.

Gene
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote