View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #26 (permalink)
Hi-Step'n370Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '10ZR S/B AT Tour NV
Hi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to put a different perspective on the concern about the convertible top.

Yes, there have been some problems. However, I think that there has been too much unjustified worry about the top regarding the huge costs involved in repair.

Keeping the whole thing in context; just exactly what can go wrong?

The fabric may need to be replaced because of rubbing on the wires. IF that happened, replace the fabric, and while the wire harness is accessible, do an adjustment to the wire harness, re-adjust the pads - as needed - to prevent further problems.

I also remember reading here on the Forum of someone who saw a small pin hole in the fabric from rubbing, and he simply put a patch/pad behind it, and no further problems. Just a guess, but the "pin hole" is probably not even noticeable anymore.

Eventually, if you use the top allot, and or it get's old, they're all going to need to be replaced, no matter what make of car it is. That's the nature of convertibles. And unless you keep the car as a collector car, you'll probably trade it long before anything like that occurs anyway.

Addressing the concern regarding the cost of around $20,000.00 mark to replace the whole top. Unless the top was smashed from some kind of accident, which the auto insurance should cover, other than something like that happening, why would anyone need to replace the WHOLE top?

The only more possible issues that we may have to deal with involve the operation mechanism, such as hydraulic and electrical components, and there is a vendor on this Forum that supplies individual parts to replace any that go bad. I understand that Nissan does not sell them separately, but I may be wrong.

I had the bungee's replaced to stop the lid from hitting the 5th bow. I had that done while the car was still under warranty. I was told that Nissan is supplying a new and improved bungee to replace the original material. Of course, I don't know it that's true, but I haven't had any problems since. If the deck lid starts hitting again sometime in the future, I'll just pay out of pocket and have them replaced again.

Other than those kind of things, I don't see the top as being such a severe problem that warrants such concern and worry to the point where people want to abandon the whole car because of it.

Sure, there's a cost to repair factor, but that's what we get into when we buy a specialty car. They all have their quirks. I guess that's what makes them special. I just spent $1,000.00 on Michelin tires after only getting around 13,000 miles off the prior set. When you look at the costs of ownership factor, such as tire replacement, $100.00 Ester Oil changes, and the higher auto insurance cost, it kind of makes the possibility of an occasional repair to the top not seem so concerning.

However; there's the other side of this that involves owner maintenance, such as cleaning and treating the fabric, treating the rubber "seals". I remember back around 2010 there was allot of posts on this Forum discussing top cleaners and treatments. I haven't seen any lately and do wonder if the care and maintenance of the top has been forgotten. Taking good care of the top is good preventative maintenance. The sun and elements on an un-cared for top fabric do have a destructive effect.

The only thing that made me sit up and take notice - and take immediate action - which was not Roadster specific, was the steering lock issue, which I took care of at once. And I had the RevD, which was supposed to be the one Nissan issued for replacement. No way was I going to trust that lock either, especially since Nissan gave up and stopped using locks altogether. I saw a ticking time bomb that wasn't a matter of if, but when, it would fail, and I wasn't going to wait around for that to happen.

Last edited by Hi-Step'n370Z; 08-06-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Hi-Step'n370Z is offline   Reply With Quote