View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
RDAVIS247
Base Member

Drives: '16 370z Base
RDAVIS247 is on a distinguished road

Do you have any pics of the affected area?

If it truly is a clear coat failure then your best option is to get it re-cleared. There is no substitute for your clear coat. So the body shop recommendation (without seeing the issue) is probably your best bet.

Now as to whether you want a wax/sealant vs a ceramic. Waxes are a natural oil based chemical and typically offer good shine but do not last long compared to synthetic counterparts i.e. sealants and coatings. You mentioned it is out in the sun during the day meaning wax probably isn't your best bet. Sealants can be an ok choice depending on if you are doing it yourself or paying some one. If you do it yourself typically you will want to reapply every 3-4 months to avoid lapse in coverage. If you paying someone, you might as well pony up the bucks and get a coating this way you have the longest lasting coverage with minimal maintenance. This is not to say it is maintenance free, you still need to care for it and it can still develop small swirls and scratches if maintained improperly.

Based on a short google search of this RestoreFX it seems to have some mixed reviews and my understanding is that it claims to be a clear coat replacement. I have yet to see a hand applied coating that can replace clear coat. I would be wary of this but if you do it keep us all in the loop as if it does end up being awesome, could be a game changer!

Another option to consider if you haven't yet is look into a self healing clear bra once the clear is fixed. LLumar, Suntek , Xpel are some of the bigger types out there. Are they expensive? Yes, however they are thick and can help with rock chips and don't need to be babied as much as the above options. When they get small swirls you can leave it out in the sun and it heals it self which to me is a cool feature.
RDAVIS247 is offline   Reply With Quote