View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #5539 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
Military joke. Miltiary maps are broken down into grids. When a new Private joins the unit, we send them off in search of said grid squares. Usually, when they ask around, they keep getting sent off to other people who also know the joke, so the PVT spends all day in search of the non existent grid squares.

Theres also other variants. Enlisted Ranks are classified with an E (Enlisted) and a number E1 though E9. So well tell the pvt to go to the motorpool SGT (usually the rank of E7). Tell the pvt to ask the motorpool sgt for a PrcE7 (pronounced prick e7). We used to use PRC77 (or whatever number model) which were real radios, so PrcE7 sounds reasonable right? So imagine the furry when a private tells the motorpool sgt that hes looking for a PRICK E7..lol
Same basic idea in the machine shop world. Worked in a small shop a few years ago with a couple of my brothers and some good friends. My brother Joe was notorious for this... he'd send newbies to find the "metal stretcher" with the actual description "it adds metal back on a surface when you've cut too much off". We could reliably gauge someone's IQ from watching how they responded. The people who went looking without questioning it were destined for failure.

My favorite was when he told a guy named Chris to ask me for a "Left handed BA-11 Tap" knowing I'd figure it out. When he asked, I looked at him, grinned, stood so he was on my left, and raised my hand and said "Chris, due to our long friendship, I'm going to ask you to rethink that request."

Him: "Oh... oh man. I should've known Joe seemed way too happy when he told me to go get that."