View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #114 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute
Default SouthBend Stage 3 + CMAK + LW flywheel

Now that I've revealed my foolishness in the previous episode, it's time to reveal my thoughts on the new clutch setup. As you know, I'm using the RJM pedal, and right now it's set at 0% where I left it after trying to bleed my clutch.

My new setup is the SouthBend Stage 3, with CMAK, the quiet disk option, stainless steel clutch line, and the 19 lb flywheel. Stage 3 was chosen in expectation of eventually going FI.

-Pedal pressure has increased, as I expected it would. Not a big deal for me, but if the Z is your DD and you have a weak leg or constant traffic and no RJM pedal, you may not enjoy this experience.
-Clutch chatter is present but extremely minimal. The quiet disk option is a good choice.
-Car does rev faster, and an interesting side effect that I just noticed this morning is the lesser weight means when I come off the accelerator, there is less sensation of "bogging down". I lack the appropriate vocabulary to describe it. Suffice it to say, that was a pleasant and unexpected change.
-Engagement is much more abrupt, and that's not a bad thing. The stock clutch always left me guessing, and it was a rare day when I felt I really nailed my shifts smoothly. I have no such issue with the new setup.

I'll play with the settings on the RJM pedal a bit tonight after work, but I'm guessing I'll be happy with around 30%. Obviously I've changed a lot of variables, so I couldn't tell you exactly what portion was the CMAK, etc, but I can tell you the overall experience is very positive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SouthBendStage3.jpg (123.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CMAK.jpg (68.4 KB, 14 views)