View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
Martijn_b
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370z MB 6MT
Martijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond repute

There seem to be problems with the way how AAM set up the BW wastegates.

The AAM kit makes use of Borg Warner EFR 7163 turbo's. These are internally wastegated with with a 36mm wastegate flap. BW offers three types of wastegate canisters with the following base pressures:

Low: ~6psi
Medium: ~11 psi
High: ~17 psi

Then what they did (I heard..) to make them fit due to clearance issues, is that they modified and shortened the wastegate rod. This causes the preload to be higher, which causes the base pressure to rise. Also, the boost is harder to controll and the wastegate flap to have less travel and not to open as far as it should.

Well, all of this already gives me goosebumps because it sounds like some kind of hackjob designed by idiots.

Does anyone know from a reliable source if the above story is true? Especially on stock internals this could be problematic because the boost might be harder to controll and the wastegate to crack open later than desired.

If its true I foresee two options:
1) change the stock "medium" wastegate canisters with the "low"
2) go external wastegated
3) the above is a ghost story and multiple people run medium canisters on low boost without problems..

Last edited by Martijn_b; 06-22-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Martijn_b is offline   Reply With Quote