View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 04:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

DTC-70 is an aggressive race pad ......... and seeing them fade is a surprise ...........

You need to look to improved cooling as HTC-70 should not fade in a few laps (their operating temps are 400-1600 DegF) so something in awry - question is how to figure out what it is

When the car won;t stop - do you have a long pedal ?? Could be you are boiling the fluid .... try and rule that out if possible

If not a long pedal, does pedal stiffness vary .... OR does the car simply not stop regardless of the pedal pressure (that is the classic definition of fade). if this, then maybe the pads were not bedded properly (or you have deposits on the rotor that come in to play when the rotor gets hot).

A rock-hard pedal, no ABS pulse and zero retardation can be ice-mode but it takes bumps/track ripples to trigger it - is not usual these days

Do you have any ideas on rotor temps when you get fade ?? Infra-red temp gauges are not overly accurate by that will tell you PDQ about whether you have fade or not.

Do you still have backing shims in place ... try some titanium shims to keep heat away from the pistons and fluid

Try a full brake fluid flush

Maybe try other pads .........

Are these pads in the car all the time or only when you are on track ....

What is the state of rotor deposits .... consider emery cloth to scuff up the rotors and re-bed the pads .............

I have used Ferodo DS2500 and DS3000, Endless MX-72 and ME-20, Project Mu HC+ and never experienced fade in ~5 laps ... so there is a problem there and like Rusty says, it does sound like fade rather than ice mode as ice mode is a solid pedal and zero retardation over bumps - I've only had ice-mode once and it scared the living daylights out of me .... occurred over bumps and with ABS triggered - then no retardation at all - is that your experience ??

Needs a methodical approach to establish what the problem is
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote