View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shoeshear
Base Member

Drives: '15 370z Sport MT
Shoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond reputeShoeshear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shoeshear's 370z journey/journal

Hey guys, just wanted to create a spot to document the changes I'll (hopefully) be making over the years. Came from an underpowered AWD car (A4 1.8t) and and a sport bike (09' Kawi ZX6r), so I wanted something in between. The car was always on rails till the limit at which point it understeered into oblivion and the bike is very focused and not as "playful" on the track. I felt that it always required a very serious frame of mind to ride it quick (still very fun, but a very tense experience). I love my bike (still have it), but wanted a little less lunacy and seriousness than the bike and substantially more than the car. All combined into a car that I thought could make a good daily. Cross-shopped an E46 M3, but as I'm going to be a resident, the reliability killed the M for me (basically one of my favorite cars ever). The Z was a perfect alternative, an M car without the lore.

Picked up the 2015' Z 12/2/17 w/ 21k miles on it. Pretty clean, some small scratches here and there on the rear bumper, but it was gonna be a DD w/ occasional track use and the car was in awesome condition otherwise (great interior, drove well, strong brakes, semi-decent tread) and best of all, bone stock. I try to do most of the work myself, but when I move, I won't have a garage, so probably gonna have to pay shops to do work starting July...

First Fill up:

In preparation for my first track day in the Z, some mods were delivered!

5/2018

1. Conti ExtremeContact Sport (the successor to the DW) in 255/40/19 Front and 285/35/19 Rear

2. 34 Row Fast Intentions Oil cooler w/ Mocal 180˚ thermostatic plate (worked beautifully on track)

3. Project Mu brake pads (also worked fantastically on the track and work well on the street)

4. Picked up a lower end motorsport helmet (didn't realize motorcycle and car snell ratings were different). $150 Conquer Full Face

Not track related, added a Pioneer headunit w/ Apple Car Play and a back up camera. Seems to be a hair sensitive to the cold, but other than that, it's freaking magical. Too bad the install was a PITA.

Plans:

1. CSC/CMAK replacement (whichever the self adjusting one is, I'll do the research when funds accumulate) w/ the master and clutch (might as well), possibly lighter weight flywheel too (don't want anything mega light). Will also probably go with the RJM pedal setup at the same time... Not sure how I'll afford all this at once, but I'm counting the CMAK as part of car maintenance, not fun expenditure, so I can probably use a bit more of my budget there.

2. Coilovers (haven't decided brand or anything yet) and possibly wheel spacers for the look

3. Stillen Gen 3, FI exhaust (not sure yet, but want something with good sound, not too droney, seems to be mixed opinions on everything and I'm going to have a hard time hearing each exhaust in person...we shall see)

4. Tune (Uprev, ECUTek?) The dream is to make about 315 whp (I want that 370 crank hp number for 100hp/liter)

5. CF steering wheel for coolness

6. Brake duct kit (DIY vs Stillen, seems pretty low tech)

7. Tackspec hood vents if I can afford to get out to the track more (AZ is gonna be hot) I want to get them painted body color, don't really want them to stick out and scream LOOK AT ME I HAVE RACE HOOD VENTS COOOOLLLL

8. Quaife Helical LSD (needs to be streetable, so I think all the clutched 1.5 way LSDs are out)

9. CJM Road Race pump if I get to the track a lot (probably won't be for a few years at least, gotta finish residency first)
Shoeshear is offline   Reply With Quote