View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
AlphaSnacks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 XKR-S, '10 370Z
AlphaSnacks is on a distinguished road

No, those aren't seahorses in my paint. That's the paint damaged from:

1) Constant exposure to sunlight without top coating
2) Shitty car washes ruining clear coat
3) Lack of proper paint care
4) Sap, poop, etc.

This is spider-webbing. The above with heat is what usually causes it in an OEM paint application on a non flexing part like the hood. Eventually, once the clear coat totally thins out it breaks and flakes apart. Nothing can fix this besides paint. The clear coat is so bad and so thin in this area that the hood has a notable discoloration that I thought was a hand print. This is easily the worst part of the car's exterior.

Here's more:

A lot of that is bird crap that's been etched into the paint and burned into the clear. It's basically unsalvageable and will require a respray. I am 100% certain that I will get the hood and roof resprayed. The bird poop on the front quarter panel shot by the wheel feels smooth to the touch. I have some hope that it can be sanded away, compounded, polished, and then sealed with a glass or ceramic coating. If that works, I will attempt the same on the rear hatch (the pic with the 90-degree scratch by the glass, which has similar bird **** damage).

I've already gotten a quote on the paint. I'm looking at about $1000 to do: bumper, hood, roof.
AlphaSnacks is offline   Reply With Quote