View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #2830 (permalink)
Leingod
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: In Circles
Leingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
I just bought a Traegar pellet smoker about 3 weeks ago. I did up some pickerel and salmon so far. I have a nice lake trout I caught last weekend on opening day and am looking forward to smoking it.
I fell in love with the smoker since I got it. No briskets yet but its coming soon
Have you smoked at all before? I would hold off on the brisket since it can be finicky and start with a massive pork shoulder. Bone in preferably. Regulate temp to be between 210f to 235f. Smoke anywhere from 12h to 17h. You'll get literal fall off the bone pulled pork. Be sure the pork hits 200f for a little. That's when proteins begin to break down and create the sweetness. I usually pull mine from the smoke when it hits 205f.

Another fun trial run is basic at Louis style ribs. Be sure to remove the silver skin off the back of the racks. Cover in yellow mustard (you won't taste this, I promise). Coat in whatever seasonings you want. Smoke for 3 hours at 225f.remove and wrap in tin foil. I usually add honey or marachino cherry juice. You can withe rput back in smoked for 2 hours or into your over at 225f since you're essentially done smoking the meat after the enitial 3 hours. After 2 hours, remove the tin foil, baste with sauce if you'd like and return to smoker or over for an additional hour. When done, you'll have tender, but not fall off the bone ribs which usually means the meat was cooked to long. Look for an internal temp of around 190f.

Finally, get yourself a very good dual thermometer. One that proves internal temp of smoker and one that probes meat. Preferably via Bluetooth. Makes life way easier. Any other questions, just Pm me.