View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
CJBinder
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z PG M6
CJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond reputeCJBinder has a reputation beyond repute
Default First Track day with OS Giken LSD and extreme noise

I just got a new OS Giken LSD 1.5 way plus new KW V3 Suspension with 4.09 Gear installed. I bought the built rear end from Z1 which includes the Z1 extra capacity diff cover.

When I originally got it I noticed extreme clunky catching noises from the differential and used the Motul Diff fluid. After posting about the horrible noise at low speed and turning, I then decided to listen to everyone and use the OS Giken 80/200 Diff Fluid. Had the fluid changed before going to track.

Got to the track and first session was about 10-12 laps. The interesting thing I noticed while running was the Oil Temp got to 250 degress. Which at first I thought was odd since I have the 32 Row oil cooler but I kept going.

When I left the track on the exist lane. Extreme clanking from the diff. Yes I am going slow and turning but holy Sh&* everyone was looking at me like I broke something. I got nervous as the noise was very extreme so I left the track to limit the amount of damage.

So I would like to see everyones opinion on these questions...

1. Oil temp was 250. I am guessing that is ok, but why so high when I got 32 row oil cooler plus I have the stillen front end which allows way more air into the engine bay.
2. Why the hell after running 10-12 laps and then exiting would the diff be so freaking loud. It continued to be load going slow and turning after that on the way home. After getting the OS Giken fluid previously installed made a big difference but after these hot laps it was back and back louder than ever. Did I burn up the fluid in that many laps? My last post folks said to get the MA Motorsports diff cooler which I am thinking is a must now. But this diff is extremely loud now when before going to track and going slow and turning it was not near as bad.
3. How much fluid is supposed to go in the Diff? This was a debate my mechanic was having with Z1. Z1 said with their extra capacity diff cover, it should hold 2.7L. Even with buying the prebuilt diff they give you 3L. But my diff only took 2L. My mechanic said the capacity was 1.5 in the stock LSD which adding the Z1 extra capacity which is stated to add .5L of fluid should make it 2L. But Z1 says 2.7L. Anyone know what the capacity should be?

All information is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by CJBinder; 05-26-2018 at 12:54 PM.
CJBinder is offline   Reply With Quote