View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Martijn_b
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370z MB 6MT
Martijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond reputeMartijn_b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
Personally I'm not a fan of any top mount turbo. It's flawed placement. There's already enough heat in the engine bay and the piping is a clusterf*ck. The best place for a big single is where BP puts it, and that's still imperfect. It's just the best compromise.

Also, go bigger on the oil cooler. You're going to be blocking it with an intercooler, so it's not getting ambient temp air. Add a turbo blanket and some fire sleeve for wastegate lines. If you ever want to upgrade the motor mounts to poly, now's the time. It'll be a much bigger PITA once there's a lot of extra piping in the way. I'd also go with the RJM (not the supercharger guys, the original RJM) upgraded master cylinder instead of OEM, and pair it with his clutch pedal (although the pedal can be done later).

Last, try and get the clutch done well before you do the rest of the install so it can be broken in properly, not just thrown on the dyno and beat on.
+1 on the turbo placement under the hood. I think it looks amazing, but deffinately will create more heat. I've been in touch with SOHO and they have been answering my questions very well - but at this moment in time I don't see a reason why I should go for their kit over the BP one.

Regarding a heat blanket: yes, i'm also heatwrapping the exhaust manifold and piping there to keep heat radiation as low as possible.

Upgrading motor mounts: I have a bad experience doing this on other cars, in a sense that it's still a road car and definitely not a track car. I didn't like the extra vibration you felt through the subframe. Any specific reason to do this on the Z? (is it a known weak point or anything?).

Final word: it's either about spending a lot of money, or spending a whole lot of money. Currently my preference seems to go to BP.