View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #164 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

snakebite,

How quickly they pounce!

Yes, I want to know how the hard top will be fastened at the rear and at the sides behind the doors, and you obviously don't have the answers, or you would have given them.

How does the top fasten to that center lock mechanism in the tonneau cover? How is that hydraulic lock get triggered? Is there rewiring and a new switch installed somewhere just to activate it?

And what about those two square shaped plastic flapper covers that swing up out of the way during opening and closing operations, so that the swing arms can operate. They're spring and cable operated. Do they need to be disconnected/removed from the car, and what is the hard top clamping onto at those swing arm areas?

And is the hard top even compatible with a working soft top still installed in the car? Or is this hard top just for those who don't want the expense of replacing and entire soft top mechanism, and have removed the entire soft top completely from the car?

I've owned both a 450 SL and a 55 Thunderbird over the years, both of which had the hard and soft tops from the factory. Each was designed so that their hard tops were firmly attached to the car while the soft top was properly open and stowed. Neither top option would interfere with the other while on the car. Is that going to be the same with the Z?

So, yes, before I commit to putting my name on a list to purchase one of these hard tops, I need these and some other questions answered.

From what I see so far, the hard top is gorgeous, has the right texture (much better looking in my opinion than a shiny surface like the older hard tops of the Miata's), and may solve the issue for the people with very expensive soft top repairs.

Gene
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote