View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Nithmo
Base Member

Drives: 16 370Z Nismo 6MT
Nithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond reputeNithmo has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I've learned... in reading various suspension threads, I've noticed a number of guys mentioning they have weird suspension noises that weren't there before lowering. Specifically, I've heard of squeaking and thudding/knocking.

As far as the thudding/knocking is concerned, I had that issue initially, too. Mostly because I didn't have the service manual on hand, so I didn't know the hardware torque values, and I obviously didn't want to over torque something. But... a quick drive indicated noise up front... in looking at the service manual, I didn't realize the front sway bar endlink that goes through the bottom of the strut needs to be torqued to 120ftlbs. Everything seemed solid, etc. etc... but as soon as I torqued that nut to the right value, the knocking went away. I'm wondering if there are guys out there rolling around without those bolts tightened up properly. 120ftlbs, if just using a normal socket wrench, is a whole lotta force.

The second- the squeak- we all know it comes from the rubber mounts around the front sway bar... I know my caster is out beyond spec. I'm hoping by getting that corrected, the squeak goes away. Using Teflon seems like a bandaid solution to a bigger problem. I guess time will tell if getting an alignment will fix the caster!
Nithmo is offline   Reply With Quote