View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
DannyGT
Track Member

Drives: 370Z (SOLD)
DannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond reputeDannyGT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Z View Post

So, after a few days, here are my comments about the system:

1- There is NO DRONE at all. On the highway, or even at any speed, you won't hear the exhaust unless you press hard on the accelerator.

2- The exhaust is not much louder than stock while driving (not accelerating). But if you push your car a little, it definitely is a bit louder and has a deeper sound. (Check out the clips!)

3- Unfortunately, there is a tiny little rasp at high rev. (That wasn’t the case on my 350Z Borla). The rasp goes away when the exhaust is really hot after 5-10 min of driving. You can’t really hear it from inside the car, but you can hear it in my last vid from inside the garage. I wonder if there is some way of completely removing this.

4- I now have some comments about the clips after a second stop at my performance shop. Even if the clip assemblies fitted very well, looks like I still have a little leak that cause a small (not so noticeable) sound while reving down. You can also hear it in my last vid from inside the garage. We didn't manage to remove it completely so I am thinking about welding the whole thing… Any comments about doing or not doing this from your experiences??

I would really appreciate to hear any suggestions on the two points above (3 and 4) you may have.

Sorry to bring this topic back, but I wanted to mention to you that you do not have a leak. I went thru a similar experience as you and that noise you hear on decel/while revs are dropping is called rasp. Similar to the rasp you hear up top...The only way I know on how to reduce/eliminate it is if you place resonators before the H/X configuration. Thats the point where that resonance hits its peak and it seems to be THEIR that the resonators make the biggest difference.

That and I heard true-dual setups dont get that annoying sound (but I dont think they make as much power either)

So dont bother to weld (or not) because thats the same exact thing I did with my Stillen exhaust and I still had that metallic vibration/rasp sound. Look at the invidia exhaust and the placement of their resonators, thats the spot where it made the loudest sound on my car.

Trust me - I went thru alot...I stayed in the car (on a lift) while they inspected underneath as I rev'd it and I stayed their until they were done welding to only hear the same crap. Its the nature of our car and only gets louder with test pipes. I put GTM resonated test pipes + resonators before my x-pipe and it dramatically reduced the rasp...you hear it quickly ping at 2800rpm and go away almost instantly.

Last edited by DannyGT; 01-26-2010 at 03:14 PM.
DannyGT is offline   Reply With Quote