View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
AstatenateZ
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370Z
AstatenateZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrskills View Post
I'll try to break it down into steps

1. Start with the car while its cold. (if you have been driving it your pan will be too hot and won't cool down and you won't be able to know when to drain in the last step)
2. Lift it, turn the engine off, drain fluid through the drain plug. Close drain plug
3. Fill through the fill port about 3 liters, close the fill port
4.Turn engine on while car STILL on the lift. (No need to drive it)
5. After 3 mins, turn the engine off. drain through the drain port. close drain port.

6. repeat step 3 to 5 (fill again with 3 liters, turn the engine on. wait 3 mins. engine off. drain)

7. Finally 3rd fill; fill 3 liters. turn the engine on keep filling till fluid comes out of the fill port. close fill port. go through all gears while waiting 5 secs in each gear. Shift to P. keep engine running. check the oil pan temp. when it reaches 95F. reopen the FILL port NOT the drain. fluid will pour out. when the fluid stops pouring and starts dripping close the fill port you are done.

That's why it's important to start with a cold car if you just drove to the mechanic your pan and trans will be hot even if the fresh fluid in it is not and you won't be able to do the last step.

Summary: Drain old fluid. fill and drain twice. you fill 3rd time. adjust the fluid level through the fill port at the right temperature. while the engine is running.

If you have questions let me know
That all sounds good and like my plan. My only issue is I can’t do it at my house. So I’d have to drive it somewhere. So I guess I’ll just have to sit around and wait for it to cool off. I’ll use fans or something to cool it off faster maybe?

Also I wonder what the dealership does, whoever comes in for a fluid change would of driven the car to them? So it wouldn’t be “cool” either.

But anyways yes that sounds pretty spot on to my plan , I’ll just have to wait around at first for it to be cooled off.

Last edited by AstatenateZ; 05-03-2018 at 04:00 PM.
AstatenateZ is offline   Reply With Quote