View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
gbhrps
Base Member

Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute

Orni,

I feel your pain. Nissan does not sell many of the individual metal parts for the top. The same goes for the hydraulic rams and the wiring. Basically there are so few convertible Z's sold, that I believe they feel that their service techs may never gain enough experience working on one to be able to tackle a repair.

Instead their solution is to sell a complete top assembly, something their techs can handle without having to spend hours tracing down solutions only to find the repair bill is too high, and even then not have fixed the top. So, one large price ... and its a guaranteed repair because everything gets replaced.

But there is a solution. Find a wrecked roadster and buy the pieces you need, .... or ... locate a machine shop tech who can make you a replacement part. Show him the car, the part to be replaced/repaired, and wait for him to make a new part or repair yours. The part should be easily removed with the top part way open. Usually a nut/bolt needs removing at the end of the shaft the part sits on, or its a spring washer that locks into a slot on the shaft. Pry the washer out of its slot and slide the part off the shaft. (At present I'm away from my car and the factory workshop manual, or I could give you a more precise answer on the removal and replace steps needed.)

It may take some time for you to find someone who can do the work for you, but a convertible repair place (not a Nissan dealer) can remove the part, and maybe steer you to someone who can make a new one or repair the old one.

Even if it costs you $800, you will be much farther ahead than the price you've been quoted. If it were my car ... this is the route I'd go. Good Luck!

Gene

Last edited by gbhrps; 04-30-2018 at 04:37 PM.
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote