View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #9207 (permalink)
JLarson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 Nissan 370z MR M6
JLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond reputeJLarson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The one company that I worked for in the '90's. Sent a bunch of us up to Canada to rebuild a steam turbine and a LARGE ethane compressor. This equipment WAS in a building, until the building burnt down 1 month before we got there. We got there in the middle of Jan. and worked until the end of Feb. Out in the open. We strung up plastic for wind breaks. Which we had to repair daily. Think the highest temp we seen there was 0C the whole time we was there. Couldn't make any fires to keep warm with, because the whole area was in a refinery. Was so bundled up with clothes. I felt like Raphie's little brother in the Christmas Story movie. "Mommy, I have to pee." Couldn't pull my zipper down if I had to. For 6 weeks. I had thought that HELLL had frozen over and I was in it. No one got sick, or had froze bit either on my crew.
There are times I miss doing construction work. Those would be days where it's warm, sunny, and pleasant. The rest of the time, it's either ungodly hot and you're insulating a crawl space, or incredibly cold and you're trying to find a way to get warm.

We did some work for a wealthy couple in the area who were designing their yard to look like a summer resort. We did framing for the pool house in January, snow heaped around the site. It was cold enough out that my air nailer safety froze, discharged multiple nails in a single shot, one of which gave me a nice finger piercing. Only time I've ever seen blood actually spray like that. Good thing it didn't hit anything vital.

We often joked that the only times we installed gutter was in the rain or snow, and the only times we did roofing were when it topped 100. When I remember this, I'm grateful for my permanently climate controlled environment, with a bathroom nearby and free covefefe.