View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 06:08 AM   #9148 (permalink)
Baronsmokes
Premium Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Roadster
Baronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond reputeBaronsmokes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The one company that I worked for in the '90's. Sent a bunch of us up to Canada to rebuild a steam turbine and a LARGE ethane compressor. This equipment WAS in a building, until the building burnt down 1 month before we got there. We got there in the middle of Jan. and worked until the end of Feb. Out in the open. We strung up plastic for wind breaks. Which we had to repair daily. Think the highest temp we seen there was 0C the whole time we was there. Couldn't make any fires to keep warm with, because the whole area was in a refinery. Was so bundled up with clothes. I felt like Raphie's little brother in the Christmas Story movie. "Mommy, I have to pee." Couldn't pull my zipper down if I had to. For 6 weeks. I had thought that HELLL had frozen over and I was in it. No one got sick, or had froze bit either on my crew.
Driving truck and moving trailers around all night.Several years ago in Minot ND.Temp that night was -50F.Colder than North pole.35 mph wind blowing.Wind chill was -120F.Winter front zipped shut on truck.No oil pressure.Exhaust would just fall out of truck and stay on ground for the longest time.I live in cold climate so I was wearing heavy winter gear with two face masks.The air is so cold it is hard to breath.The only thing not covered where my eyes.The moisture in my eyes would start to freeze.You could grab and peel off of eyeball .Miserable night.

The good news it was only one night.Where I live lots of people work outside all winter.There is no choice.
A few local sayings.
40 below keeps the rift raft out.
Why not Minot.Reason Freezen.